Thursday, February 12, 2009

Hospital Journal Entry: Sunday February 1, 2009

Today started out in kind of a blur. My day nurse, Joyce came in to give me my antibiotic. She went to flush the line and all of the saline came right back out, meaning my IV site was blown and had to get a new one. Well they called the IV team (or person on duty) to come and start a new line. Sadly the girl who came over couldn’t successfully get a new one started and as a result really bruised my right hand. It was swollen, painful and very dark in color. I had to use ice packs to keep the pain and swelling down. But it was also a day with a Caps game at 12:30 and the Super Bowl later that night. Dr. W checked up on me and also said that there was no need for an IV anymore (phew). I also found out that I wasn’t the only person on the hallway that was a long term. Another woman named Sherean is here too, she has been here since Christmas Eve when her water broke. She sent me her business card with her phone number to her room. She’s so nice, it’s nice to know I’m not alone here.
Father Paul came by to give me communion and talk a bit. He was wearing his Steelers sweatshirt too, that gave us all a good laugh. Jim and Sally took Dave to get some lunch and then visited with me for a while. My Mom and Aunt Karen stopped by, so did Sarah Kate . Everyone brought little bags of stuff to keep me occupied and to ease my sugar cravings. It was so nice. Elyssa stopped by later too so we could re-plan arrangements for what was supposed to be my shower. Because we have to cancel it. So it was decided on just a small get together of immediate family and a couple of family friends to come by and hang out for an afternoon here at the hospital with me. The Caps won versus the Senators and Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl. For the second shift that night BJ was my early evening nurse and Danielle was my evening nurse. I had a contraction or two that night…they think it was due to all of the visitors and such, but nothing really came of it. I just got my medicine and went to sleep.

1 comment:

Betsy Hart said...

:) I remember texting you that day!