Saturday, March 07, 2009

Hospital Stay Journal Entry: Thursday, March 5, 2009

Overall, this was a day I never saw coming. My AM nurse was Quynh today. I woke up and had my breakfast and as I was getting ready for her to bring in my medicine and give me my NST, I started to feel a bit strange and my tummy felt weird. I called her and she set me up on the monitor right away…. And that is where the fun began. I started having MAJOR contractions. The first one they caught on the monitor was so big…I thought my belly was going to split in two. I was having sharp pains and the tightness was so insane. I even had trouble catching my breath. Another nurse, Milena came in to help Quynh with me so she could care for her other patients too. But my contractions were frequent, however very sporadic (meaning there was no actual pattern). The nurses finally got a hold of Dr W (who was in the OR) and she said she wanted me in L&D. However there was no room for me there so my care was done completely in my room. Another dosage of Terbutaline was given to me, but the contractions kept on coming. Sally AND my Mom showed up and got to witness some of the fun. They got to see me have MANY contractions and listen to the baby’s heartbeat a good part of the afternoon. Dr W decided I needed IV fluids so they got an IV started and opened up the fluids as fast as they could go. Needless to say the bathroom was my friend all day too. They did the bolus (fast fluids) two different times and I was still showing keytones in my urine. Oh well…what’s a girl to do eh?? However I was still having contractions. Now they were just moderate and not severe (a small improvement). Everything finally slowed down and eventually stopped. However my body was so sore and uncomfortable, when Dr W finally came to see me that evening she offered me some medicine to help me sleep. I took it, no question. Because I knew I was going to need help. I also didn’t really even care that the Caps lost again at home (3rd loss in a row….longest losing streak of the season) oh well. Grace, my PM nurse put me on the monitor for 30 minutes and was pleased to see no contractions and gave me my medicine for the evening afterwards. Once I started getting drowsy, Dave left so I could rest. I barely remember him leaving I was so exhausted.

1 comment:

Betsy Hart said...

You sure had everyone scared. If she did come you would find a way to make things work, but we want you to keep her cooking long as you can!!