Friday, September 16, 2011

Venting of energy

It certainly is interesting now when you get older how you handle different situations.

For example, when you get angry and are completely mad that you feel you are going to blow up.  What do you do?

When you are upset and so sad that you are just going to lose it.  What do you do?

I have found that my fuse for things, or the threshold to where I feel I'm going to explode or lose it has grown significantly (on most days).  However when it comes to things involving my children the fuse is not there and I have to react in the moment (which can be very awkward).

Taking a breath if you can, always seems to help release some of the original tension in a situation.... but haven't you found that sometimes holding your breath makes you feel more in control (or something to that affect) and if you release it the situation wins a little more??

My personal reaction to BOTH anger and sadness is crying.  Yep, crying (not all out bawling, but usually tearing up and such).  That is truly the safest way to release energy (for me) because I cannot lose it and hit/throw things.  I don't have the ability to leave the house and go to the gym like I used to (I'm also injured so that doesn't help either).  Sometimes talking things out...doesn't help and makes it worse (on certain occasions) because it is like adding fuel to the fire.

Another thing I have noticed that I do when upset on any level, if I do not cry/tear up I start cleaning.  Yep, cleaning.  It's a form of physical labor that can release some tension.   I find myself usually in the kitchen scrubbing things down or re-arranging stuff in the cabinets.

Do you have any habits that help you in a severe emotional fluctuation?  Even if you have kids or you don't we all seem to make it to this point some how.  What do you do?  Please share. 






2 comments:

Momma Sara said...

I'm a big crier too. Cry when I'm frustrated, angry, relieved...you get the picture. But it is definitely a good release. I am such a passionate person that if there isn't some sort of slow vent I just might implode. I've been working on my fuse and trying to be more patient but it is a concerted effort and isn't easy.

Betsy Hart said...

I cry when it gets really bad, but most of the time I just leave the room and take some time for me. Writing helps me too.