Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Bringing you Up to Speed and My Big Fat Hockey Themed Wedding

Wow...I didn't realize until I looked at everything that I realized it has been since the beginning of April and it's now June...which means.....I'm MARRIED!!!

Yep SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much has happened literally since I last posted.Now I'm going to get it all up to speed.

April...Well the Washington Capitals really had on helluva run and unfortunately didn't make it past the first round of the playoffs, but seeing the first round go all the way to a game 7 was impressive by all standards. The Capitals had a GREAT season this year and grew by leaps and bounds. With the sheer amount of UFA's that we had and such it will prove to be a very interesing post season. I know that Olie Kolzig will NEVER wear a Capitals uniform again and that makes me EXTREMELY upset...he will always be my favorite all-time Capitals Player. "The Power of Kolzig will Always Compel Me". But with the Caps season over...more of my focus went to the final planing of my Big Fat Hockey Themed Wedding.

When May finally showed up...everything got REALLY busy. The first weekend of May brought a huge birthday party for my great friend Peg. It was a Hawaiian themed party that was awesome. GREAT sun and surf cake, really yummy.The following weekend the 10th was the Bachelorette weekend. My girls picked me up about 10am took me to two different vineyards, at the first one we had a chocolate and wine paring and at the second one we just had a normal full wine tasting. Then we all went and had 4 full courses at the MELTING POT...mmmmm mmmm yummy cheese and chocolatey goodness. it was such a GREAT day.

Then with a week left to go before wedding and lemme tell ya, without Kirsten (wedding day coordinator) I would've completely lost my mind. I almost did a few times but thanks goodness I didn't.The rehearsal went really quickly and was just a physical walk through so everyone knew where to stand and go on the day of. The rehearsal dinner was held at Kettler Capitals Iceplex (yep that's the Capitals Practice Facility), we had a suckling pig and a mobile sushi station with a moderated open beverage station. We got to watch everything from speed skating, broom ball to hockey. A few handfuls of interviews from the Capitals Film crew were on hand to interview family, friends and us. Many spirits were consumed and then they had to separate the bride and groom for the night. (which was much harder than I thought it would be)

But the morning of the wedding was fun. Got up..my sister, friend Christy and her daughter had stayed over then night before and helped keep me centered and focused (as much as they could) but let me tell ya I had one monster case of butterflies that morning. My stylist came to my house and did all of our hair... I did about 90% of my make up and let my stylist finish off the fine details and I looked GREAT. The car arrived around noon and Kim rode with me in the sedan up to the Knight of Columbus hall where we got dressed. But when we got there Duff Goldman from Charm City Cakes was there setting up the cake and had the food network film crew there as well. I got to meet him and he told me that the NHL brought the actual Stanley Cup to their bakery so that they could get an accurate comparison in making our cake. Isn't that just KICK ASS?? And he took a picture with us and everything but had to go because he had to go set up another cake at another party. He wish he could've stayed, but he couldn't. I got dressed and put the finishing touches on me and my girls.
My father arrived and then it became REAL. The weather was soooooooooo beautiful and sunny and perfect temp too. We walked across the street and then I could hear the music coming from the church...it was perfect. I made my procession and at the aisle was the man I love waiting for me. Beautiful service and we were both able to keep it together and not cry (but it was hard). I felt so pretty and he looked so handsome. Then it was done.

And it was TIME TO PARTY.....After many pictures and stuff...we had our GRAND Entrance into the reception with the BIG Cake reveal. We all put hockey jerseys over our wedding clothes and our attendants got hockey sticks and we were announced in by Wes Johnson (PA announcer for the Washington Capitals at the Verizon Center) and we went in under an archway of hockey sticks. It was fun. Then the Cake...OMG that amazing cake. The food network had their cameras right on us for our first reaction and when the flag was lifted...it was INCREDIBLE. OMG a more than full size replica of the Stanley Cup with the entire wedding party listed on the cake. Such a great cake and it tasted good too.If you want to see candid photos (from the disposable cameras) private message me directly and I'll send you the link.It was such a great time and we were overwhelmed by guest and generous gifts. We left the Monday after for two islands of Hawaii and we spend a wonderful 10 days between Oahu and Maui.We were able to see Pearl Harbour, snorkling in Molokini and we made it through the Road to Hana and back. Beautiful weather, glorious sites a trip to always remember.Now we're back to the grind. And getting back to the swing of things.But I still can't stop smiling. Life is truly good.

No comments: