Saturday, June 22, 2013

Paula Deen and the Food Network

If you've not heard already.....

The Food Network has released a statement saying that they "will not renew Paula Deen's contract when it expires at the end of this month".

If you don't know what has happened here is the situation, I hope I have it correct:  A long time ago in a "PRIVATE" conversation and NOT an interview (keep in mind) Paula Deen let the N-word slip and it has since come to the public's attention.  And now it has turned into a huge conspiracy and news event.

I do know there has been reports and proof of Paula Deen's behavior towards her staff and her restaurants over the years, which are terrible (certain staff to use certain entrances and bathrooms, etc)

In my opinion, there are film makers that have won awards for films that have the N word in it over 100 times and no one has even thought twice at saying one thing to them about that.  So this whole thing is just obsurd.  I don't condone using the word on any platform in any way...my major issue with this is the statement Paula Deen made, was made 30 YEARS AGO!!!!  There is NO EXCUSE for racism on ANY LEVEL, but something doesn't feel right about this.

I found the Paula Deen apology videos on YouTube: 2 of them are the public apologies and the third is for Matt Lauer and for having to cancel at the last minute on her interview with him.  Watch Below...

Here is the FIRST ONE:


Here is the Second One:



Lastly is the Third short video directly to Matt Lauer himself  (this is all that was released online that I could find of this one):



What's done is done.

I'm sure the relationship is now over between Paula Deen and Food Network is over and they will NOT overturn their decision.  But I'm sure both sides of this story will be just fine.  However, I'm sure it will be a little while before we see Paula Deen on TV addressing this issue. 

There is no excuse for racism on ANY LEVEL, but I'm still not sure about all of this...for some reason something feel off about this.

No comments: